the cousins hanging together in Avila Beach

January 19, 2010

set sail

For those of you who haven't known me very long or just haven't been "in touch" recently (which could very well be my fault. I'm sorry =), I've always had a love for the sea.

My family has done houseboat vacations with my great aunt and uncle since, well, since before I was even around to go along. And there's always been something alluring to me about living out on the water. Not to mention all the A-mazing things one can do for fun out there, like wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, etc. =D

But anyway, when Ryan (my brother) and I were in Greece in October we went out to an island for a day of super-fresh seafood and swimming at the beach. I was out in the water at one point, marveling in the simple beauty of my surroundings and the old wooden boat on blocks in the sand being painted bright red when I saw a gleaming white power yacht far out on the water between me and the distant mountain islands.

I saw it there, cutting across the horizon and I felt an old familiar ache. You see, I went through a "phase" many years ago when I was absolutely determined that yachting was the life for me. I subscribed to a magazine and clipped pictures out to keep in my journal and would look up the newest, biggest yachts online. I dreamt of someday having my own and using it as a sort of ministry tool; a way to share with people the super-abundant love of God for us. I wanted people to see that God desires so much better and bigger for us than we often let ourselves believe. Eventually "reality" sunk in (haha, not intended =) and I let it all go. Dismissed it. It was silly. After all, the only people that have these boats are the uber wealthy! I was just a kid.

Well, I saw that yacht in Greece and I felt that longing again. I took it to God and said, this feels important to me. There's something here that's significant beyond a mere childhood fantasy. And he said, yeah... what are you going to do about it?

I thought about that. And for the last several weeks of the trip he spoke to me more about my heart and that he wants me living from it more! To be awake and alive to the desires he's given me and to the mystery of the life it brings when we listen to it with him!

Anyway, I'm pursuing a "career" working on yachts. I'll be living in San Diego for part of February to do safety training and to just be around boats more. Sound kinda crazy? It does to me. =D It's gonna require a lot of growth and determination. But most of all determination to trust.

And so my journey has brought me here. To this moment. I don't know how long or how far this will go. I'm learning to live in the moment, not guessing or worrying about the next. Not regretting the last. All I know is what he's told me to do right now. And I'm gonna do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment