the cousins hanging together in Avila Beach

January 25, 2010

just do it

I'm talking about following God here. . .

I got up this morning not feeling really great about life, but quickly remembered the place I was in with God last night - He gave me part of a song and I recorded what was there. He was helping me to keep surrendering things in my life that feel important and true and necessary and showing me more and more that really, all I need is Him. Even if I give up everything that's important to me and life seems to be void of goodness or beauty, He is SO completely sufficient! There are tons of wonderful, amazing things He wants for us and has for us in this life, but He wants us to want Him most! All those other things are bonuses - and they're good and right and part of the beauty of life, but they're not so important that giving them over to Him means anything bad. By letting go we free ourselves to be more completely His!

Okay that was a tangent. =D The point was. . .

I woke up and felt like I should go rollerblading, but didn't really feel like it. I remembered God's goodness and the things He's been saying to me recently. I went. I took the recording from last night on my iPod and skated around my neighborhood. I headed uphill and was soon ready to call it quits and make a loop that would take me back downhill. But I felt something urging me to keep going, keep straining. So I did. Another block and I thought, this is probably far enough. I'll turn around now. But again I felt that nudging in my spirit and kept going. I got to a T in the street I was on and was glad to be forced to go sideways instead of up and up and up.

I turned the corner and there was a good friend of mine I haven't been really connected with lately! He too had gotten up not really wanting to go out, but was now out jogging - something he hasn't been doing regularly. He just felt this morning like it's what he should do. We went on together and connected - shared some recent praises and challenges and had a really great time.

He asked me what I had been listening to when we bumped into each other and suddenly I felt silly, but knew this was all happening for a reason. I told him I felt silly cuz I was listening to myself - the song from last night - but that it was relevant and ministering to me. I didn't really want to, but offered the iPod so he could hear. He was really encouraged by it and it sparked more conversation!

God is good. How do we ever forget this?!

So with that in mind, that God is good (aaand knows what He's doing =), I challenge you to listen. Listen and feel for his voice and His gentle prodding. Be willing to embrace discomfort and challenge and just do it.

1 comment: